Saturday, July 14, 2012

범죄와의 전쟁 (Nameless Gangster)

I've been wanting to write about this movie for while... mostly because I've been wanting to watch this movie for a while.범죄와의 전쟁 (Nameless Gangster) came out in Korea in February 2012, but I couldn't find a cinema that was playing the film with English subtitles. Then, last month while staying at a youth hostel in Winnipeg, Husband and I met a university student from Korea who was travelling through Canada for the summer. Not only was she kind enough to give us a whole bag of 김, she also gave us a bunch of Korean movies, including 범죄와의 전쟁. Alas, her copy of the film was also without subtitles.

Well, I'd been periodically searching online for a subtitle file, but had found nothing. Husband and a friend got to talking about Korean movies, and 범죄와의 전쟁 instantly came to mind, so I searched again for a subtitle and finally found one!


I love police/gangster movies, particularly Asian ones. My university years were filled with Hong Kong police movies, and only recently have a starting watching some Korean gangster films. Well, 범죄와의 전쟁 did not disappoint.

The cast is pretty amazing. 최민식 (Choi Min Shik) of Old Boy fame plays a corrupt Busan customs agent who gets into relations with the mob after having to take the fall for his department's acceptance of bribes. Choi balances gangster coolness and tragic pity. His partner in crime is played by 하정우 (Ha Jung Woo) who is a total badass. To round out the cast is 곽도원 (Kwak Do Won), who plays the prosecutor determined to take down Choi as part of the president's "war on crime." Kwak plays the straight-laced prosecutor perfectly, and his first scene in the movie is one of my favorites.

The plot is good, but due to several time changes throughout the film, it can get a little confusing. It took me two viewings to really get it. I don't want to give to much away, so I'll just say that like a good gangster film should, it has action, emotion, violence, and betrayal.

As a bonus, here are my top 5 Asian police/gangster movies:

Police Story (Jackie Chan)
A Better Tomorrow (Chow Yun Fat)
Hard Boiled (Chow Yun Fat)
Infernal Affairs (Tony Leung)
Kill Zone (Donne Yen)

What's your favorite gangster movie (Asian or not)?

Ashu

2 comments:

  1. just a minor correction, i think the title is not nameless gangster but rather gangster war or war on criminals or war on crime. hope you don't mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David! No worries; of course I don't mind. Actually I found several conflicting English titles for this movie including Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time, Nameless Gangster: Golden Age of the Bad Guys, and also War on Crime. I decided to use Nameless Gangster for this post because that is the title I found most common when searching for information on the film. Though it isn't the exact translation of the Korean title, I believe it is the official English title. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2082221/

    I guess that's one of the difficult things about writing about foreign language films. Similarly, 아저씨 (2010) was given the English title The Man from Nowhere.

    However, I absolutely could be wrong, if you find some information about the official English title of this movie, please let me know (send me a link, etc) and I will correct it.

    Thanks for reading and for commenting! Any recommendations of Korean films for me to watch?

    ReplyDelete